A Consultative workshop on Disability Inclusion within the fifth phase of the Productive Safety Net Program (PSNP V) in Ethiopia will take place in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia on February 24-25, 2023. The workshop is organized by the Ministry of Women and Social Affairs (MoWSA) with technical and financial assistance from the SP&PFM project.
- To cascade the disability inclusion campaign that started at Federal level to Regional Productive Safety Net Programme (PSNP V) implementers through discussions and recommendations for programme review of the PSNP V.
- To advocate for effective inclusion of persons with disabilities in PSNP V through disability awareness raising to scheme designers and implementers at Regional level on issues of disability support services and disability grants.
The workshop will focus on the following thematic areas:
- Disability inclusion in social protection in light of the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD)
- Mainstreaming disability in urban PSNP in Ethiopia
- Mechanisms to ensure disability inclusion within Urban PSNP
- Action points on programme review of the PSNP V, with consideration for explicit disability inclusion through provision of disability grant.
- Deeper understanding among participants about the concepts of disability assessment/determination and eligibility for social protection schemes.
- Discuss and consider the application of the Washington Group of Questions as a first step towards understanding the level of disability within the current UPSNP
- Engage in discussions and develop position regarding consideration of persons with disabilities (with labour capacity) to participate in the Public Works (PW) component of UPSNP
- Explicitly consider additional transfer for households living with persons with disabilities under the Direct Support (DS) component of the PSNP.
Participants of the consultative workshop will be officials, programme designers and implementers involved in UPSNP Programmes at the Regional Administrations level.
The institutions from which participants are expected to participate are mainly the following:
- Ministry of Women and Social Affairs (MoWSA), Social Protection and Disability Affairs Directorates.
- Regional UPSNP Offices.
- Regional Communication bureaus’ delegates
- Federation of Ethiopian Association of Person with Disabilities (FEAPD) and its Regional Branches