A consultative workshop on establishment of unemployment insurance in Ethiopia will take place in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia on December 9, 2022. The workshop is organized by International Labour Organization (ILO) and the Ministry of Women and Social Affairs (MoWSA) with financial and technical support from the SP&PFM project.
The objectives of the workshop include:
- Raising awareness on the implication and benefits of establishing an Unemployment Insurance Scheme for Ethiopia (UI).
- Getting views and inputs from relevant stakeholders on the feasibility of pilot-testing a scheme on Unemployment Insurance (UI) in selected garment and textile manufacturing enterprises in the Industrial Parks in Ethiopia.
- Presentation of the discussion paper on Unemployment Insurance.
- Plenary on the Unemployment Insurance discussion paper.
- Group discussions on the following thematic areas:
- Pros and Cons of starting an Unemployment Insurance Scheme in Ethiopia.
- Institutional setting for UI.
- the role of government, employers, and workers in the implementation of Unemployment Insurance Schemes in factories.
- Benefits of piloting the UI in the Garment and Textile Industries.
- Improved understanding and knowledge on unemployment insurance
- Inputs received to improve the discussion paper of unemployment insurance
- A way-forward agreed to pursue the agenda of unemployment insurance
- Ministry of Women and Social Affairs (MoWSA)
- Ministry of Labour and Skills (MoLS)
- Ministry of Finance
- Ministry of Planning and Development
- Ministry of Industry
- Private Organizations Employees’ Social Security Agency (POESSA)
- Public Servants’ Social Security Agency (PSSSA)
- Confederation of Ethiopian Trade Unions (CETU)
- Confederation of Ethiopian Employers’ Federations (CEEF)
- Textile & Garment Industry Association
- Representatives of Domestic Textile & Garment Factories
- Ethiopian Investment Commission
- Community Based Health Instance (CBHI) Agency
- Representatives of Wage Subsidy Project beneficiaries
- Garment, Textile and Leather Industry Federation
- ILO (Programme Unit, ONE ILO-Siraye, PROSPECTS, SP&PFM)
- SP & PFM Project -UNICEF