The Social Protection & Public Finance Management – Paraguay project provides technical assistance to the Government of Paraguay in public finance management and resource identification for social protection.
The programme also supports the design and initial implementation of its Vamos! Social Protection System in selected territories. The project promotes efficiency by building capacity to develop social protection programmes in the context of the recently adopted Results-Based Budgeting.
The project foresees four outputs:
- Efficiency and effectiveness of Social Protection public spending.
- SPS implementation in selected territories.
- Building institutional capacities.
- Social Protection System Vamos! dissemination, promotion and demand creation.
Key achievements of 2020
- From the start of the project implementation, a Technical Coordination Committee (TCC) was established and formed by representatives of the Ministry of Finance, Technical Unit of the Social Cabinet, ILO, European Union, and UNICEF. In 2020, The committee met once a month on a sustained basis until December 2020 and will continue to do so in 2021. The formation of the Technical Coordination Committee (TCC) allowed close and frequent interaction, communication, information sharing, timely decisions, and implementation of corrective measures by the main institutions involved in the implementation process. The TCC ensures that the project’s activities are aligned and complement the Paraguayan Government’s efforts to implement and develop the Social Protection System Vamos!, the Results Based Budget and the European Union’s social protection activities in Paraguay.
- 2020 marked the preparation of the bulk of the project’s activities to be delivered in 2021. Terms of references were jointly developed, ensuring needs and expectations are accurately reflected and activities are aligned with those of the Technical Unit of the Social Cabinet, the Ministry of Finance and the European Union Delegation.
- Five public service professionals participated in the online of the International Training Centre of the ILO (ITCILO) “Public Finance for Social Protection Analysts” course. The project will also support the translation of this online course into Spanish and its adaptation to include documents and tutors and incorporate the Latin American context expecting a wider reach not only of Paraguayan participants but also from other Spanish speaking countries in 2021.
- The viability and the relevance of the project in the Covid-19 context were ensured.
The project was developed jointly by the International Labour Organization (ILO), the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF), the Delegation of the European Union office in Asunción (EU) and the Government of Paraguay through the Technical Unit of the Social Cabinet (UTGS) and the General Budget Directorate (DGP) of the Ministry of Finance (MoF).
Paraguay actively participated in the Program’s Global Launch on December 1st, 2020. Ms. Teodora Recalde, General Budget Director of the MF kindly agreed to speak on behalf of our project, highlighting the contributions provided by EU, ILO and UNICEF to strengthen the Social Protection System and ensuring its sustainability in the country. ILO, UNICEF and Ministry of Finance social media echoed Ms. Recalde’ s intervention:
Mr. Guillermo Montt, ILO Social Protection Specialist, firstname.lastname@example.org
Ms. Verónica Herken, ILO National Project Coordinator, email@example.com
Mr. Gustavo Rojas, UNICEF Social Policy Officer, firstname.lastname@example.org
Ms. María Lilia Robledo, UNICEF Social Policy Officer, email@example.com